We buy houses in Sugar Land, Texas and want to help you get some ideas on what you should do if you ask the question: “What should I do to sell my house in Sugar Land?”
We have a great list of ideas and tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking to get a good price for your house.
The info provided below will help if you are looking to get full retail value for your home sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below, or don’t have the time or money to do the things below, you can still sell the house fast for a fair value with a home buyer like Brilliant Day Homes and still walk away happy.
7 Things To Help Sell Your House In Sugar Land
1) Get the place clean. This is critical for making potential home owners want to buy it. Keep in mind that vacant houses can get dirty. Make sure everything is spotless to impress buyers. If you cannot clean it yourself, hire someone who can.
You may consider finding another place to live while you show your property if are messy. Keeping things neat and tidy really helps buyers feel comfortable in what may be their future home. Nothing stops people faster from buying than feeling gross.
2) Pick great colors. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. I wrote a whole article that discusses a great color to use.
Some colors can help change the perception of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep.
Don’t be cheap. Spend the money to get a good quality paint and a professional job. People will pay more for a house with the right color paint and clean lines – it makes the home feel higher quality, even though it’s just painted. HGTV published its 2019 color trends to help you make decisions on paint colors.
3) Make the repairs. Fixing everything up to sell can feel like a major waste of money. Especially knowing that there is a good chance that someone will replace appliances again when they move in. But really, quite a few buyers will get a home inspection and use the opportunity to negotiate with you. What you will find is that in most cases you will end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance. Be cautious with this, you don’t want to be guilty of fraud.
Some people recommend spending the money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. I am still on the fence about this, however, if you ask in advance, inspectors will often charge you just a small rate to come back after you’ve done the repairs and give you a clean bill of health. The additional inspection will make buyers feel more comfortable with the purchase.
4) Don’t make unnecessary improvements. You can waste a LOT of money by over-improving. Your taste likely won’t match what the buyer wants.
Don’t do anything besides painting – it’s easy to overpay on most everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by bad contractors. Learn how to find a good contractor in Sugar Land.
You must understand the things that will actually increase the return on investment.
5) Consult the experts. You should talk to at least a couple of real estate agents about the price of your property, but be honest with them. If you aren’t planning to use them to represent you, let them know. You shouldn’t lie about your intentions.
6) Create marketing strategy for the house. Good agents and brokers earn their value by doing this and spreading the advertising expenses across clients. It’s expensive and time-consuming to do this on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you shouldn’t have any issues.
If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best agents do to sell homes in Sugar Land.
7) Request a cash offer for your house. We buy houses in Fort Bend and the Sugar Land area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to worry about any of the items above.
You Don’t Want To Fix It Up, But Still Want To Sell A TX Home Yourself?
You want to get as much as you possibly can from your home sale, but can’t do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer. There are some alternatives you can explore. You can consider selling your property without an agent (FSBO) or sell the house for cash in Sugar Land. The for sale by owner myth. What usually happens is that properties listed FSBO eventually get put on the market. Why? Because selling FSBO requires you to do all the marketing, managing showings as well as keeping the property clean. It is usually much more work than people understand.
Selling for cash to an investor will require a discount on the price but less work to get the transaction done.
If you have the money... AND you can wait the 6 months it takes to sell the house, then you’ll be better off financially to do those things then list it on the MLS (multiple listing service).
If you don’t have the money... AND can’t wait months to sell the home, you may want to consider selling your house to an investor. An investor will acquire the property for cash and in its current condition.
Real estate investors purchase homes at a discount of typically 30 – 50% depending on several factors. The benefits are that you will know exactly what amount of money you will receive when it will close and do not have to do any repairs.
Get A Fair Offer On Your Sugar Land House
You could be a perfect fit for our local Sugar Land home buying service. Just submit some basic info about your house on our website, and we’ll evaluate your property, make you a fair all-cash offer, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you. Sell your house in Texas to us now, or when you are ready.